A&W Root Beer, UK
A&W Root Beer is a brand of root beer that is largely available in the United States and Canada. It was developed in 1919 by Roy W. Allen and is still in production today.
When Allen and Frank Wright formed a partnership in 1922, the partners merged their initials to form the A&W brand, which later became the inspiration for a chain of restaurants that was also established that year.
At initially, A&W Root Beer drinks were just available to order for five cents.
Keurig Dr Pepper owns the rights to the A&W brand (with the exception of Canada), and the company licenses the brand to the similarly titled restaurant chain in the United States.
A&W Root Beer products are sold throughout the United States by a variety of different bottlers and distributors.
In Canada, A&W Food Services of Canada, which is separate from both Keurig Dr Pepper and the US restaurant group, is responsible for managing A&W restaurants and root beer marketing campaigns, with retail root beer products bottled and sold by the Coca-Cola Company in the United States.
It is also available as an imported beverage in places such as Southeast Asia and Italy (where A&W operates restaurants), as well Australia, Chile, and other nations.
Roy W. Allen founded a root beer shop in Lodi, California, on June 20, 1919, using a root beer recipe he had obtained from a pharmacist.
He quickly expanded, opening stands in Stockton, California, and also five outlets in adjacent Sacramento, which was home to the country’s first drive-in movie theater with “bandejeros” (curbside service) and the country’s first drive-in movie theater with curbside service.
During the 1920s, Allen linked up with Frank Wright, and the two of them combined their names to become the A&W brand.
Some people believe that the initials A&W Marriott come from Alice and Willard Marriott, which may be due to the fact that Marriott’s initial business was an A&W franchise.
In 1924, Allen acquired Wright’s interest in the company, registered a trademark, and started selling restaurant franchises.
A&W became one of the first franchised restaurant chains in the United States, having opened its doors in 1954.
Allen allowed franchisees to use the A&W name and trademark, as well as acquire concentrated root beer syrup from the company.
In 1933, there have been more than 170 A&W franchised restaurants in operation.
There was no standard menu, design, or set of procedures shared by all franchisees, and some elected to serve meals alongside the root beer as an additional revenue stream.
During World War II, franchisees had to deal with labor shortages and sugar rationing, but then after the war, the amount of A&W locations more than tripled as soldiers’ loans cleared the path for private enterprise.
A&W Root Beer establishments numbered more than 450 by 1950, thanks to the widespread use of automobiles and the emergence of the mobile society that accompanied them.
Allen retired from the company the next year and sold it to Gene Hurtz of Nebraska, whom went on to found the A&W Root Beer Company.
In 1956, the very first A&W Root Beer shop in Canada was established.
By 1960, the amount of A&W restaurants had increased to more than 2,000 locations.
The A&W Root Beer Company was sold to the J. Hungerford Smith Company in 1963, which had been manufacturing Allen’s concentrate since 1921 and had been producing it since 1921.
When the J. Hungerford Smith Company was sold in 1966, it was acquired by the United Fruit Company, which combined with the AMK Corporation in 1970.
Guam was also the site of the first A&W restaurant outside of the United States, which debuted in 1963.
In 1971, United Brands established A&W Distributing Co. as a wholly owned subsidiary with the sole purpose of making A&W root beer offered in bottles on store shelves.
Following a successful trial in Arizona and California, the goods were launched on a national scale in the United States, with sugar-free, low-sodium, and caffeine-free variants available.
When A&W launched “The Big Root Bear” as a mascot in 1974, the company was viewed as a goodwill ambassador for the company.
A&W Restaurants was established in the late 1970s to oversee the management of the restaurant franchises.
A. Alfred Taubman acquired ownership of the company in 1982.
The bear and the jingle that went along with it became the inspiration for a long-running advertising campaign in Canada.
The mascot was so popular that it was subsequently adopted by the A&W restaurant chain in the United States as well.
A&W Cream Soda and A&W Diet Cream Soda first introduced and marketed nationally in 1986, and A&W Sugar-Free was reformulated as A&W Diet in 1987, making A&W Cream Soda the first diet soda available nationwide.
Cadbury Beverages acquired A&W Beverages in October 1993 and renamed the company Cadbury Beverages.
Cadbury Beverages sold off its beverage division in the United States in 2008, forming Keurig Dr Pepper.
Originally released in March 2005, A&W Root Beer was packaged in a classic 20-ounce bottles with visuals evocative of an old root beer barrel.
The brand’s current motto is “Classic American Refreshment Since 1919.” The company was founded in 1919.
When A&W Canada updated its root beer in July 2017, it did so by eliminating high fructose corn syrup and other flavors from the recipe and substituting cane sugar, sarsaparilla root, licorice, birch bark, and anise in their place.
An true American root beer made under secret recipe!
Official website : A&W Root Beer